A Home-Made Wedding Part:1

            Since my big sister commented that I had made my own wedding dress I wanted to write some about it. I’m not some super amazing sewer or crafter, but I do have a good talent for it. I have been sewing most of my life and I have done a lot of projects with my mother. Honestly, I don’t feel confident about most sewing projects unless I can consult with my mom, she’s the greatest, but I may be a little bias!
          So, here’s how I did it. I actually started out with a sewing pattern; yes there are lots of patterns for wedding dresses. Mine cost about $17 at Hancock Fabric Store. It tells you exactly how much fabric you need, but if you are frugal you can save a lot and use it for other parts of the dress.
         To make my dress more modest I made my own pattern for the top. I used tissue paper to cut out a similar design from another dress. When doing this you need to be careful and make your pattern as symmetrical as possible. You want to add about an inch or an inch and a half to allow room for the seam. You would rather be too big than too small.
            Make sure that you have plenty of time to make your dress! I can’t tell you how much I benefited from being able to set it down and forget about it for a few days or weeks. You definitely don’t want to be crunching for time! I had mine finished two months before I got married, but of course I was still tweaking it at the last minute.





           
            The most important advice I can give you is to be patient and don’t get too upset if you have to unpick a part of your dress and do it over, even if it’s the fifth or sixth time. Enjoy, have fun and be creative!! You can do whatever you want!

` The Newly-Wed

****Wedding Photos Courtesy Blank Canvas Photography 

1 comments:

Tiff For Tat said...

Thats sooo cool that you made your own dress..its gorgeous!!

Post a Comment